Friday, January 20, 2012

Lessons in Life

So I had the past couple of days off from work, but I started again today!  And it sucked...

I came in the pharmacy and the pharmacist immediately said how relieved they were to see me!  It had been quite busy all day.  They were barely holding above the water.

I inputted a few prescriptions and saw that they kept being returned for being incorrect.  I fixed them the best I knew how, and resubmitted to the pharmacist.  They kept being returned...

Our computer system has a nifty function of letting the pharmacist highlight the field they find incorrect, and they may possibly put in a comment for the tech on how to fix it.  This can help to teach us what to do, certain keystrokes, or if we simply misspelled a word.

I had no comments.

The pharmacist started to become more frustrated with me on a particular prescription because I couldn't determine what they wanted me to type.  Understandable.  By the time I fixed the prescription it had been sent back and forth at least 5 times.

There were numerous prescriptions in fill, more in check-point, and even more in visual verify.  People that called on the phone to speak to the pharmacist were on hold for 10 minutes at a time.  Too busy.

A parent came through the drive thru and asked about prescriptions sent in for their child.  I only saw one prescription here, and it wouldn't be able to be processed through the insurance until tomorrow.

Parent: Ok, what about the other prescription?
Me: I'm sorry, I don't see another prescription here for you...
Parent: The doctor called in another prescription.  I watched them.  I saw them call it in.

At this point they are getting a tad frustrated with me.

Me: Ok, let me check one other place. *search host system* Yes, it looks like it was called into [sister store 10 minutes away]
Parent: ...Alright.  Would you be able to transfer it here?
Me: I could, but we are quite busy right now.  It might take a few hours for it to be ready, or even as late as tomorrow.
Parent: But if they don't have this medicine, they will have to go to the hospital!
Me: I understand that, but unfortunately it may take a while.
Parent: Know what.  Forget it.  We'll just get the prescription down in [sister store 10 minutes away] and transfer all our prescriptions down there.
Me: Ok. *hangs up*

I see now that that was my mistake.  I should have tried to get it done sooner.  The pharmacist was so flustered though I didn't want to put pressure on them to finish a prescription right now.

The parent came into the store and chewed us out.  The pharmacist said that I was mistaken, and we could have it ready in 45 minutes.

The parent left and went to [sister store 10 minutes away] and, true to their word, transferred the remaining prescriptions down there.

I was so upset for the next couple of hours, it was horrible.  I'm still quite upset.  I'm going to look up the patient tomorrow and see if this was a refill or whatnot...  May give indication on how appropriate their tongue-lashing was...

However, I guess it really doesn't matter.  There's nothing that I can do about it anyway other than live on to another day.  Many people weren't given that luxury today.

I just feel like perhaps this isn't the profession for me...  Working in a science lab by myself with only music and no deadlines seems like heaven right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment